Now that the clocks have turned back and the darkness is coming a little sooner, we all have a tendency to be less active and less motivated. Now is the time to dial up some engaging and interactive Winter Resources!!! These resources come in a variety of formats to keep students guessing and involved! All of them are created around standards so that the activities are fun but also academic. Check out these resources and don’t forget to scroll down to the bottom to get your free resource on sequencing a snowman!
Winter Differentiated Thematic BUNDLE– winter resource
Use this super comprehensive BUNDLED thematic unit to help your students learn about winter. Every activity is created around Preschool Literacy and Math Standards and each activity is differentiated into three levels. These levels make it easy to reach and teach every student in your classroom. There are teacher directives for each activity to make it easier for you to deliver the instruction. The levels are arranged from activities that require minimal assistance to those activities that require the most assistance. These are perfect to reach your bright and gifted students as well as your students who struggle with engagement and retention.
Winter Literacy Google Slides™- winter resource
Google Slides™ helped me during online instruction and I loved them so much, I decided to implement them during my whole-group instruction on a daily basis. My students love interacting with them and it provides another way to engage them in an interactive way.
This pack of 54 slides has 4 different letter activities for Winter:
- Match the lowercase and UPPERCASE letters on snowballs to build snowmen matching the letters on the hats.
- Match the lowercase letter on the snowflake with the UPPERCASE letter on the snowflake.
- Match the lowercase letter on the mug of hot cocoa to the winter word with the picture on the mug. DIFFERENTIATED: one set includes the word under the picture and one set is just the picture.
- Match the lowercase letters on the hats, mugs of hot cocoa, mittens, snowflakes, and snowballs to the actual word. (hat, cocoa, mitten, snowflake, snowball) DIFFERENTIATED: one set includes a model to replicate and the other just has the winter word picture.
Winter Math Google Slides™- winter resource
Here are some of the reasons I am using Google Classroom™/ Google Slides™ Digital resources this year:
- awesome way to engage and interact with students during whole-group instruction
- great way to assess by assigning these slides to your students and then checking for mastery
- great way to integrate technology during instruction
- students can access these materials anywhere
- students can use these materials on iPads, Chromebooks, and other devices such as a computer
This pack of 62 slides has 4 different number activities for Winter:
- Build a snowman with the number of snowballs to match the number on the snowman’s hat.
- Look at the number on the snowflake and put the mittens in order in the base ten boxes.
- Look at the groups of pictures and put the correct amounts in the snowballs to match the number on the snowman’s hat.
- Compare the numbers in the snowflakes and drag the greater than, equal to, or less than sign into the snowball.
Winter Vocabulary & WH- Questions with sound- BOOM™– winter resource
Boom Cards™ served as my lifeline during COVID and now I love using them during my whole-group instruction. The students love taking turns and touching the whiteboard to get the famous Boom DING! They are inexpensive and fun to integrate vocabulary and answering questions!
These 30 task cards have 3 different kinds of slides.
- 10 vocabulary slides with the word said in the sound icon and real photos (2 pictures are wrong and 1 is correct)
- 14 WH- question slides with the question asked in the sound icon- “What is the boy holding in his hand?” (2 pictures are wrong and 1 is correct)
- 6 positional word slides with the questions asked in the sound icon- “Where is the snowflake?” (2 positions are wrong and 1 is correct)
POSITIONS HAVE A SOUND ICON TOO!
These cards are aligned to Ohio’s Early Learning and Development Standards- Language/Literacy. I can identify real-life connections between words and their use. I can understand and use question words. (What? Who? Where?)
*There is a sound icon located on each slide to either say the vocabulary word or to state the question for the slide.
Arctic Animals– winter resource
Use this thematic unit to teach 5 language/literacy centers and 5 math centers on arctic animals. Each activity is standards-based. There is a page at the beginning to help with printing activities in color or in black and white. Two data pages are included to help keep progress on your students. ALL activities are in color and in black and white.
- vocabulary Cards with vocabulary matching game
- writing Cards with vocabulary
- syllable Sort with picture cues and without
- readers in color and black and white
- match game with pictures and beginning sounds
- game with graph and die around vocabulary
- color sheet as well as sticker sheet identifying numbers 1-10
- positional words with visual and verbal directives and a corresponding datasheet
- one-to-one correspondence with base ten boxes
- sorting mats for different animals using different landscapes
DATA SHEET at the end to record answers!
Animals in Winter- winter resource
Use these literacy and math centers to help teach your students about what animals do in the winter. Included is a fun movement game incorporating hibernate (stop to sleep) and migrate (go or move). Each activity is created around Preschool Standards. Perfect for lesson planning and differentiated instruction. There is a page at the beginning to help you print out the color or black-and-white activities with all of the page numbers. A data sheet is included at the end to help keep the progress of your students.
All activities are in color and in black and white!
- interactive vocabulary cards for all of the animals
- sorting activity with hibernate, migrate, and adapt (visual mat included to help students
- interactive easy readers with 5 animals that hibernate, 3 animals that migrate, and 5 animals that adapt for winter
GROSS MOTOR ACTIVITY:
- visual picture of hibernation (bear and the word stop)
- visual picture of migration (monarch butterfly and the word go)
MATH / SCIENCE ACTIVITIES:
- counting animals 0-10
- subitizing groups of animals to 5
- graphing game with a cube and sentences to read (I see a…, This animal…hibernates, migrates, adapts)
- measuring animals with a ruler (not true to size)
Winter Rhyming Bulletin Board– winter resource
Use these 2 different sets of winter rhyming words to introduce your students to the rhyming standard. One set has the words on the snow globes. The other set has the same pictures with words that can be velcroed onto the bottoms of the snow globes. Thumbs-up and thumbs-down pictures are included for students to use on the bulletin board or to use in whole-group instruction.
Included in this product:
- 2 sets of winter rhyming pairs in snow globes. One has words and one does not. There are 3 sets that don’t rhyme and 6 sets that do rhyme.
- hat/ cat
- scarf/ cocoa
- coat/ boat
- boots/ shovel
- flake/ rake
- snowman/ mittens
- snow/ throw
- glove/ shove
- icicle/ bicycle
- an “I can” statement to post on the bulletin board with the 2 different ways to interact with rhyming words
- a datasheet to assess rhyming words
- ALL activities are in COLOR and in Black and White!
Winter Number Line Bulletin Board– winter resource
Use these 2 number lines (0-10) and (0-20) to help introduce your students to number identification, using a number line, counting to 10, using one-to-one correspondence, and reading number words up to 20! These 2 number lines will help guide your students in putting the snow globes and snowmen in order up to 10 and 20! My students love playing “teacher” and teaching their friends about academic standards! Trick them into learning in a fun and interactive way using this bulletin board idea!
Included in this product are the following:
- 2 number lines 0-10 and 0-20
- “I CAN” statements to post
- 1-10 snow globes counting snowballs- match the numbers and number words with the snow globes
- 1-20 snowmen with number words to match with numbers
- data sheets- number id 0-10, 11-20, counting to 10 with 1:1, reading number words up to twenty
Sequencing a Snowman- FREEBIE
Grab this adorable differentiated snowman product for FREE! It contains 2 sets of cards. There is an easier sequence to use with 4 cards and then a harder one with 8. One set has numbers to help students and another one does not! Happy WINTER!
I hope you have enjoyed reading about these winter resources! Be sure to check out my free preschool checklists and sign up for my email list!